- Arshad U, Gauntlett J, Husain N, Chaudhry N, Taylor PJ. A Systematic Review of the Evidence Supporting Mobile‐and Internet‐Based Psychological Interventions For Self‐ Suicide and Life‐Threatening Behavior. 2020 Feb; 50(1):151-79.
- Husain N, Afsar S, Ara J, Fayyaz H, Rahman R, Tomenson B, Hamirani M, Chaudhry N, Fatima B, Husain M, Naeem F, Chaudhry I B: A brief psychological intervention after self-harm: An RCT from a low income country. British Journal of Psychiatry 2014 204(6): 462-70.
- Husain MO, Umer M, Taylor P, Chaudhry N, Kiran T, Ansari S, Chaudhry IB, Husain N. Demographic and Psychosocial Characteristics of Self-harm: The Pakistan Perspective. Psychiatry Res. 2019 Mar 6:12286.
- Zazula O, Mohebbi M, Berk L, Malhi G, Husain I, Berk M, Walker A, Ashton M, Agutini B, Chee Ng, Maes M, Singh A, Gale J, Deakin B, IB Chaudhry, Husain N, Bukhsh A, Dean O. Minocycline as adjunctive treatment for major depressive disorder: pooled data from two randomized controlled trials. The Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry (ANZJP), September 14th, 2020; ANP-2020-00162.R1.
- Husain MI, Chaudhry IB, Khoso AB, Husain MO, Hodsoll J, Ansari MA, Naqvi HA, Minhas FA, Carvalho AF, Meyer JH, Deakij JFW, Mulsant BH, Husain N, Young AH. Minocycline and celecoxib as adjunctive treatments for bipolar depression: a multicentre, factorial design randomised controlled trial. Lancet Psychiatry, P515-527, JUNE 01, 2020
- Deakin B, Suckling J, Barnes TRE, Byrne K, Chaudhry IB, Dazzan P, Drake RJ, Giordano A, Husain N, et al. The benefit of minocycline on negative symptoms of schizophrenia in patients with recent-onset psychosis (BeneMin): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Psychiatry. 2018 Nov;5(11):885-894.
- Qurashi I, Chaudhry IB, Khoso AB, Farooque S, Lane S; Husain MO, Chu S, Sarginson J, Hamarani M, Naqvi HA, Razzaque B; Minhas FA, Yung AR, Deakin B, Husain N. A randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial of minocycline and/or Omega-3 fatty acids added to treatment-as-usual for At Risk Mental States (NAYAB). Trials 2017; 18: 524.
- Husain M, IB Chaudhry, Husain Khoso A, Buch M, Kiran T, Fu B, Bassett P, Qurashi I, Raza Rahman, Shakil Baig, Ajmal Kazmi, Fabiana Corsi-Zuelli, Peter Haddad, John Deakin B, Husain N. A randomised clinical trial of methotrexate points to possible efficacy and adaptive immune dysfunction in psychosis. Translational Psychiatry, September 11th, 2020; 2020TP000429R.
- Husain N, Gire N, Kelly J, Duxbury J, McKeown M, Riley M, Taylor CD, Taylor PJ, Emsley R, Farooq S, Caton N, Naeem F, Kingdon D, Chaudhry IB. TechCare: mobile assessment and therapy for psychosis – an intervention for clients in the Early Intervention Service: A feasibility study protocol. SAGE Open Med. 2016.
- Drake RJ, Husain N, Marshall M, Lewis SW, Tomenson B, Chaudhry IB, Everard L, Singh S, Freemantle N et al. Effect of delaying treatment of first-episode psychosis on symptoms and social outcomes: a longitudinal analysis and modelling study. Lancet Psychiatry July 2020 D-20-00007R2.
- Husain MO, Chaudhry IB, Thomasson R, Kiran T, Bassett P, Husain MI, Naeem F, Husain N. Cognitive function in early psychosis patients from a lower middle-income country. Int J Psychiatry Clin Pract. 2018 Mar; 22(1):13-18.
- Gire N, Farooq S, Naeem F, Duxbury J, McKeown M, Kundi PS, Chaudhry IB, Husain N. mHealth based interventions for the assessment and treatment of psychotic disorders: a systematic review. Mhealth. 2017 Aug 14; 3:33.
- Husain, Muhammed Omair, Imran B. Chaudhry, Rachel Thomasson, Tayyeba Kiran, Paul Bassett, Muhammad I. Husain, Farooq Naeem, and Nusrat Husain. “Cognitive function in early psychosis patients from a lower middle-income country.” International journal of psychiatry in clinical practice (2017): 1-6.
Culturally adapted interventions
- Rathod S, Persaud A, Naeem F, Pinninti N, Tribe R, Eylem Ö, Gorczynski P, Phiri P, Husain N, Muzaffar S, Irfan M. Culturally adapted interventions in mental health: global position statement. World Cultural Psychiatry Research Review. 2020 Jan 1; 14(1-2):21-9.
- Rathod S, Gega L, Degnan A, Pikard J, Khan T, Husain N, Munshi T, Naeem F. The current status of culturally adapted mental health interventions: a practice-focused review of meta-analyses. Neuropsychiatric disease and treatment. 2018;14:165.
- Husain MI, Chaudhry IB, Rahman R, Hamirani M, Mehmood N, Haddad PM Hodsoll J, Young AH, Naeem F, Husain N. Pilot study of a culturally adapted psychoeducation (CaPE) intervention for bipolar in Pakistan. International Journal of Bipolar Disorders 2017 Dec;5(1):3.
- Leroi I, Chaudhry N, Daniel A, Dunne R, Eman S, Farina N, Haidry SE, Husain N, et al; Pakistan Dementia Research Stakeholder Group (PDRSG). A roadmap to develop dementia research capacity and capability in Pakistan: A model for low- and middle-income countries. Alzheimers Dement (N Y). 2019 Dec 28; 5:939-952.
- Chaudhry N, Tofique S, Husain N, Couture D, Glasgow P, Husain M, Kiran T, Memon R, Minhas S, Qureshi A, Shuber F. Montessori intervention for individuals with dementia: feasibility study of a culturally adapted psychosocial intervention in Pakistan (MIRACLE). BJPsych Open. 2020 Jul;6(4)
Maternal depression and postnatal depression
- Husain, N., Zulqernain, F., Carter, L. A., Chaudhry, I. B., Fatima, B., Kiran, T., … & Haq, S. U. Treatment of maternal depression in urban slums of Karachi, Pakistan: A randomized controlled trial (RCT) of an integrated maternal psychological and early child development intervention. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 2017, 29, 63-70.
- Husain N, Chaudhry N, Furber C, Fayyaz H, Kiran T, Lunat F, Rahman RU, Farhan S, Fatima B. Group psychological intervention for maternal depression: A nested qualitative study from Karachi, Pakistan. World Journal of Psychiatry. 2017 Jun 22;7(2):98.
- Naeem F, Gul M, Irfan M, Munshi T, Asif A, Rashid S, Khan MN, Ghani S, Malik A, Aslam M, Farooq S. Husain N. Brief culturally adapted CBT (CaCBT) for depression: a randomized controlled trial from Pakistan. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2015 May 15;177:101-7.
- Husain N, Rahman A, Husain M, Khan SM, Vyas A, Tomenson B, Cruickshank KJ. Detecting depression in pregnancy: validation of EPDS in British Pakistani mothers. Journal of immigrant and minority health. 2014 Dec 1; 16(6):1085-92.
- Husain N, Cruickshank K, Husain M, Khan S, Tomenson B, Rahman A. Social stress and depression during pregnancy and in the postnatal period in British Pakistani mothers: a cohort study. Journal of affective disorders. 2012 Nov 1; 140(3):268-76.
- Husain N, Munshi T, Jafri F, Husain M, Parveen A, Saeed Q, Tomenson B, Naeem F, Chaudhry N. Antenatal Depression is Not Associated with Low-Birth Weight: A Study from Urban Pakistan. Front Psychiatry. 2014 Dec 10; 5: 175.
- Masood Y, Lovell K, Lunat F, Atif N, Waheed W, Rahman A, Mossabir R, Chaudhry N & Husain N. Group psychological intervention for postnatal depression: a nested qualitative study with British South Asian women. BMC women’s health. 2015. 15(1), 1.
- Husain, Nusrat, Farah Zulqernain, Lesley-Anne Carter, Imran B. Chaudhry, Batool Fatima, Tayyeba Kiran, Nasim Chaudhry et al. “Treatment of maternal depression in urban slums of Karachi, Pakistan: A randomized controlled trial (RCT) of an integrated maternal psychological and early child development intervention.” Asian Journal of Psychiatry 29 (2017): 63-70.
- Husain, N., Kiran, T., Sumra, A., Zafar, S. N., Rahman, R. U., Jafri, F., & Chaudhry, I. B. (2013). Detecting maternal depression in a low-income country: Comparison of the Self-Reporting Questionnaire and the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale. Journal of tropical pediatrics, fmt097.
Mental & Physical illness in Health Professionals
Psychological distress, depression and functional disability
- Husain N, Chaudhry N, Jafri F, Tomenson B, Surhandi I, Mirza I, Chaudhry IB Prevalence and risk factors for psychological distress and functional disability in urban Pakistan. WHO Southeast Asia Journal of Public Health April-June 2014 3 (2): 144-153.
- Husain N, Chaudhry N, Husain M, Chaudhry IB, Rizwana, Fatima B, Rahman R, Tomenson B & Creed F. Antidepressant and Group psychosocial treatment for depression: A rater blind exploratory RCT from a low income country.” Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy 2013 Jul 19: 1-13
- Chaudhry N, Husain N, Tomenson B, Creed F. A. Prospective Study of Social Difficulties, Acculturation and Persistent Depression in Pakistani Women Living in the UK. Psychological Medicine 2012, Jun;42(6):1217-26.
- Husain MI, Deakin B, Chaudhry IB, Mulsant BH, Young AH; MINDCARE trial team. Assessing adjunctive treatments for bipolar depression. Lancet Psychiatry. 2020; 7(6):478‐
- Husain MI, Chaudhry IB, Husain MO, Abrol E, Junejo S, Saghir T, Ur Rahman R, Soomro K, Bassett P, Khan SA, Carvalho AF, Husain N. Depression and congestive heart failure: A large prospective cohort study from Pakistan. J Psychosom Res. 2019 May;120:46-52.