A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards its achievement
All Parliamentary Mental Health Summit Pakistan 2020
The first Pakistan All Parliamentary Mental Health Summit was held on Thursday 12th March 2020 in President House, Islamabad. Pakistan Institute of living and learning in collaboration with the University of Manchester and SDGs Secretariat parliament house organised the Summit. To our knowledge, it was the first such initiative across the globe. As we are aware in 2015 Pakistan became one of the signatories who have recognized Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a plan for sustainable human development, by the end of 2030. Mental health has been included in the Universal Health Coverage under SDG 3 which is an important step towards promoting mental health and well-being. Growing global evidence about mental disorders suggests that social factors are strongly related to mental health.
Mental health conditions are one of the most common causes of disability worldwide. There are up to one million suicides every year and half of these suicides occur in South Asia. However, there is limited awareness and great stigma attached to mental illness. This is a challenge across the world but more so in South Asia where literacy rates are lower. To increase awareness and for wider community engagement we organised the first All Parliamentary Mental Health Summit on 12th March 2020 at President House Islamabad.
We worked on the following five thematic areas;
- Preconception, Pregnancy and Mental Health -تعاوشر چھیا
- Postnatal Mental Health and Early Childhood -کلشنور
- Health and Wellbeing of Young People -ناجو بمیاکا
- Working Adults -نکستاپا کش محنت
- Health and Wellbeing of Older Adults – گربز ےرہما
- Presentations of the rapid literature reviews relevant from Pakistan were sent to each panel and group member prior to the initial meeting.
- Each member of the expert group got an opportunity to share thoughts with the rest of the group on the relevant topic (3-4 minutes) in his/her respective sessions mentioned above.